Since the recent election, much has been written about the Electoral College. Not surprisingly, those urging abolition seem to be Clinton supporters, and the defenders seem to be Trump supporters – but the questions go way beyond the current election. The arguments have gotten too complex to fit into a Facebook post, so I’m creating this Blog, where I can break down the issues by topic. While I will certainly present my own point of view, there is also an opportunity for an open discussion – as long as people refrain from personal attacks or discussions that are clearly off topic.
My interest in this issue goes back 50 years, when I
proposed abolishing the Electoral College at a Natick High School public
speaking class. I had noticed that the election of 1888 showed incumbent Grover
Cleveland to be the popular winner, but the Electoral College awarded the
presidency to Benjamin Harrison. Cleveland was vindicated
four years later when he won back the presidency, becoming the only
president in history to serve two nonconsecutive terms.
At my NHS presentation, I predicted that this anomaly would
occur again and that people would be outraged that the will of the voters would
be violated. I was right in the first prediction, but totally wrong in the
second. It took 112 years for the Electoral College to, once again, override
the popular vote, but when Bush beat Gore in 2000, there was no rush to amend
the Constitution. Now, after only 16 years, the situation has happened again. Although
there’s a lot of discussion about the Electoral College, there’s little chance
of this happening – for the same reason as 2000: the Republicans are in firm
control, and they seem to benefit from the current system.

No comments:
Post a Comment